View Single Post
Old 19-10-23, 07:58 PM

Default 408 Re-assembling the front subframe and suspension

This is to carry on the story from here that got as far as removing everything and the front subframe returning from the welder.: http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/8...r-removal.html

With cooler weather finally here in central Florida, I have restarted work.

I am refreshing the major parts of the suspension that will be reused: the control arms/wishbones, springs and the steering box and idler. So far the lower control arms and springs have been scraped, sanded, treated with phosphoric acid, primed and sprayed black. The new spring pans have been primed and the first side painted black too. I ran out of paint after that. They spring pans will get their other side painted when I do the upper control arms.

The upper control arms need to have some holes enlarged and rethreaded for the bump stops so they will be painted after the machine shop does that. The big subframe and antiroll bar also need painting but will be done last minute when everything else is ready as the subframe needs to be removed again to paint it. I reinstalled it temporarily when I left the car for the summer to help ensure the frame rails were not spread part by the engine's weight.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Repainting bits (18) (Copy).jpg (155.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Repainting bits (16) (Copy).jpg (172.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Repainting bits (17) (Copy).jpg (83.5 KB, 22 views)