View Single Post
Old 03-12-23, 07:40 PM

Default 408 Upper control arm fit problems

I am trying to instal the upper control arms (aka wishbones). I am working on the left side of the car first.

First I installed the Fulcrum Brackets but they are only loosely fastened and free to move left and right.

Then I installed the rear control arm with a temporary bolt but with all its washers correctly positioned. It is torqued to spec.. In this picture you can see the key washers that position and hold the bushings. They are the ones between the bushing and the outer edge of the subframe on the right and between it and the fulcrum bracket on the left. Squeezing the bushing and two washers into that gap was tight but doable.

I cannot find any way to install the front control arm and its washers. I'll attach a photo of the end of the control arm showing the washers.

The distance between the outer edges of the large washers is 2 7/12". The maximum width of the space those must fit into, between the front edge of the subframe and the fulcrum bracket, is 2 5/32". There's no way I can compress this to fit.

The rubber of the bushings sticks out noticeably further than the inner metal tubes. This seems a natural consequence of the bushing being squeezed in the middle. Would it be OK to cut that excess rubber off - flush with the metal tube inside? Or is it protruding necessary to engage tightly with the washers? Any ideas, please?

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upper control arm new left 2.jpg (97.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Upper control arms new left front.jpg (156.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by dwomby; 03-12-23 at 11:16 PM.