View Single Post
Old 17-05-24, 06:45 AM

Default fixing fuel line leak

It is not uncommon for petrol to weep from the threaded inlet of the AC fuel pump. Why is this? The inlet adaptor is 1/4 BSPP coned x 1/8 NPT i.e. the female thread in the pump casting is American. If the original adaptor goes missing, its likely replacement would be 1/4 BSPP x 1/8 BSPT i.e. all British. Unfortunately NPT and BSPT threads are not strictly compatible, risking cross threading. Another reason for leakage is over-tightening (causing permanent distortion) to create a seal, without understanding these threads are not dry seal i.e. this type of thread is meant to be used with a sealant, either PFTE or anaerobic resin. When torqued, the male/female thread flanks are wedged creating a very secure joint, but a spiral leakage path (by design) remains along the crest of the male thread - see picture. Not using a sealant/lubricant also increases the risk of galling damage/leaking. Reusing a taper thread is generally not recommended. The 1/4BSPP x 1/8NPT male/male adaptor does not exist in Australia. I show how one can be made from a barb connector.
Attached Images
File Type: png AC fuel pump.png (751.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: png reuse.png (579.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: png inlet adaptor.png (1.32 MB, 31 views)