View Single Post
Old 27-06-24, 09:24 AM

David.

It might be worth your while to replace the adjustment arms while you’re at it - these were carried over to the much heavier V8s initially, proved a bit too fragile in that application and were then beefed up. If that is you can easily get hold of the later arms.

When you’ve done the job all you need to do is to set the adjusters so that the chassis is parallel to the road both fore and aft and side to side. It might just be worth taking the trouble to load up the car appropriately to your normal use per mile travelled.

It’s all very well worth doing, it improves the handling no end and makes the car feel much more agile

(There is I think a description under the V8 resources section of this site re the trials and tribulations encountered whilst doing the same thing on I think a 412, (rather oddly filed under 407) but the 412s originally had self levelling suspension which left all sorts of bearings behind which aren’t present on the earlier cars so don’t get put off by it)

Sam

As to how often? - it seems to be something like a once in 50+ years event (and more for the 6 cylinder cars) so I don’t think it’ll worry most current Bristol owners

As to whether they are handed? I note that the parts lists implies they are but if they aren’t marked I do wonder. Not least how BCL differentiated. It’s also been my understanding that a torsion bar has exactly the same characteristics whether twisted clockwise or anti-clockwise.