View Single Post
Old 07-07-24, 06:58 AM

thanks very helpful

Cheers Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Morrall View Post
Hi

From memory, on the 410 one pipe is arranged to catch any splash back from the filler and is connected to the bodywork below the filler cap itself, behind the flap that covers it (as you say) whilst the other is connected to a coil of pipe situated on top of the tank which vents air from the tank, and allows air in as that thirsty engine gobbles the petrol therein. One presumes that the purpose of the coil is to act as a baffle to avoid fuel splashing via the vent.

See Resources on this forum and follow the path to 8 cyl Bristol Cars, then go to 410, then on to page two and then pick up the section on the fuel tank.

I’d expect your second tube to be connected to a similar arrangement.

But this begs the question - wasn’t this obvious when you took the tank out? I presume not, but from memory I’d expect that tube to be routed up from its exit behind the rear side rear wheel through the space between the rear wing and the side of the boot (which can be accessed if you take the side of the boot out) and thence through the bulkhead into the space beside the tank and then up beside the side of the tank to some sort of vent on the tank.

Perhaps this is a case of "incompetent previous owner or mechanic" and the vent from the tank has merely been left to vent into the car and a chunk taken out of the tube. Which could explain the smell of petrol

But that leaves the question as to why that tube should be wet with petrol . I don’t know except to say that I have noticed that petrol sometimes hangs about old rubber for ages.

I hope some of the above might be helpful

If all else fails shove a bit of wire up it and see where it comes out?