View Single Post
Old 14-05-11, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG View Post
No , It was only clear that a few posh people preferred some of the mass produced cars on offer at the time.
I've heard of a few aristocrats owning Bristols. These people are much more likely to buy a new Bristol than some petrol head writing for car mag.

Quote:
Which of the above went bust or taken over ?
But Bristol were effectively taken over more than 10 years ago and I am sure they would not have survived until today had they not been.

Quote:
Bristol have never had government financial support / grants, unlike many other British and German manufacturers.
How do you know?

Quote:
We all know that a Mercedes S class and similar are probably better in every way than a Bristol, but I thought this site was about shared rose tinted glasses and supporting a manufacturer we are all fans of ?
We are simply debating Mr Crook's business strategy, and we don't all agree. You can be a fan of a brand without rose tinted spectacles, just try taking them off.

As for supporting the manufacturer, you can do that by either buying new cars, having your old car serviced or restored by Bristol or by buying parts from them, rather than going to great lengths to find out where the part came from originally so you can buy it elsewhere and save a few quid.

There are a lot of people who take great pleasure in doing the latter, including yourself if I'm not mistaken!

Quote:
Was Kevin Clarkson refused a test drive ?
Every other notable car manufacturer gave their cars to Clarkson to test drive, almost certainly because of the massive marketing value. Whatever the outcome of the test, you can bet Bristol would have ended up at the sub zero end of the "cool wall".

Why not take a Blenheim 4, or better still a Fighter T, make absolutely sure it is perfect in every way and let Clarkson play with it. What could possibly go wrong?