View Single Post
Old 23-11-13, 07:05 PM

Default Bristols I Have Owned

I agree with Bryn about the state of the Forum which he has posted elsewhere:
http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/8....html#post6789

Unless some effort is put into the Forum it will wither and die. I've stopped viewing it because of lack of activity and it was only an email notification that drew me back today. The Forum should be like a club where most things are talked about with the common thread being our interest in Bristol cars. As an example of a lively forum just look at the Jensen site where there are many postings every day.
The Jensen Owners' Club • Index page
Not everyone on there has a Jensen but everyone is encouraged to contribute about Jensens and classic cars and life in general, much as one would do when meeting with friends.

I, for some inexplicable reason, find myself temporarily without a Bristol at the moment and want to contribute to the Forum so I'm starting this thread to see if we can't generate some more interest and maybe some spin-off threads?

I have called it 'Bristols I Have Owned' and this is part one.
Hopefully others will contribute with their own storey.

My first Bristol was in 1975, a two owner 1967 409 Mk II with power steering and had done about 38,000 miles I think. It was bright blue with a black painted roof with black interior and white piping. It sounds very garish in print but on the road it looked distinctive, elegant, and discrete. I bought and sold it from the through the late lamented Dick Fuggle in Bushey, Herts. Last time I looked the premises were a Majestic Wine store. I think I paid about £1850 for it and sold it after a year c.£1750.
I wonder where XUF 888F is now? I saw it at Andrew Blow's garage a few years ago and it was painted red and, the registration number being hidden, I only recognized it by the remnants of the white piping on the rear armrests. More latterly I saw it at Coys auction in Vincent Sq SW1
I was only 25 when I had the car and enjoyed that it was one of the few cars that could exceed the speed of the XJ6 which was king of the road at the time. Despite, (or because of?) 16 x 670 Avon cross-ply tyres I put up some great journey times both on motorways and cross-country which would be frowned on today. Great fun. Oddly, I followed it with a Rover 2000TC which I think was an attempt at economy after I was shocked that a weekend trip from London to Wales cost me £25 in petrol on the return leg.
This foolishness didn't last long before I bought my next Bristol.....................