Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

410 / 411 floor shifter

Old 24-06-24, 02:40 PM

Default 410 / 411 floor shifter

Please can somebody give me details of floor shifter detents of an unmolested 410 / 411?

A previous keeper had a go at the shifter on mine and got rid of some of the detents to make shifting between gears easier for them. I'm not very happy with this and would like to restore the original setup.

Currently my shifter locks in Park. If I press the button the lever will move to reverse and then freely move to Neutral without pressing the button. Pressing the button again allows movement to Drive. 2 can then be selected freely. Pressing the button then selects 1.

Going the other way starting in 1 the lever is free to move all the way to Drive, then needs to be pressed in turn for Neutral, reverse and Park.

My recollection is that when I first had the car I had to press the button to move from Drive to 2 - or did I make that up?
Old 24-06-24, 06:01 PM

David.
Just tried it on my 603 and first go it went freely from Drive to 2, 2nd attempt however I had to press the button and then it behaved as per the handbook.
Park detent both ways, Reverse from Neutral detent but free to move the other way. Neutral to Drive moves freely but Drive to 2 detent, 2 to 1 detent but goes back up through the gears freely and into neutral.
I would have thought the 410 and 411 are the same as its essentially the same gear box.
Geoff.
Old 24-06-24, 07:23 PM

Thank you, Geoff. I had forgotten it was described in the handbook!
Old 24-06-24, 07:50 PM

Pictures of modified gate and possible replacement attached.

I originally thought the land marked X was reverse and the long slot Drive - now understand how it works and have marked the picture accordingly.

https://www.bristolcars.info/forums/...1&d=1719262180

https://www.bristolcars.info/forums/...1&d=1719262180
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4993.jpg (295.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4994.jpg (80.5 KB, 14 views)